Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Begining of the End.

This weekend I made a trip up to my hometown of Sarcoxie Mo for 
our annual town fair Chief Sarcoxie Days.  I entered the square with the 
excitement of a child, as I do every year. Friday I longed for  the greasy food, 
the old country band a playin', the kids yelling and whizzing by you with 
whatever prize they had just acquired...but it wasn't as warm and welcoming
as it used to be.  There were no faces
I recognized and the taco salad just wasn't like I had remembered. 
  Maybe Saturday would be better.  
Saturday morning comes and I was ready for a cake walk.  Like...a real
cake walk, where you win a cake or pie for landing on the right number.  I 
was hoping they still did the kiddy tractor pull so Mac and MJ could see 
why this fair was really "so much fun" like I had promised.  Saturday came
and the rides were down...waiting for...something.  I don't know what.  They used to 
go during the day.  So we waited.  One boy, Bryan, let Mac ride anyway.  Thank you.

I know what most of you are thinking. You grew up.  As kids, we have this vail over our
eyes protecting us form some things and making other somethings seem much 
better.  I get that.  I know thats true...but I KNOW my little home town really
did have a VERY charming little fair at one time.  With cotton candy...and 
rubber ducks that weren't molded.  
Where the I could run around unattended because mom knew 
everyone there was looking after everyone else.  
Come on Sarcoxie....where is that pride we 
always said we had?  Maybe im just not seeing it anymore...maybe I 
have a new kind of veil over my eyes...but I don't think so. 

This brings me to the photo part of this post.  I found that the most charming part
of this experience back home was the men and women who were working
for with the games and rides.  There were definitely some interesting characters
there and when I say that I mean it in the best way.  I got to know a little about
each of these people I am about to post...whether they said a word to me or not.  
I wish I had time to sit down with them all and get their stories...because I know they 
all had some.  

Thank you guys for being good sports.  I wish you all the best. 

So here goes.  Hope you enjoy.  


Meet Smiley.
He was one of my favorites...just jumping around and dancing to 
the horrible rap music bumpin' from the stereo.




Pick up a duck...win a prize.  Where's the fun in that?!  
I remember my mother throwing out so many dollar bills
just so I could get the duck with the star on the bottom....those
were a rarity amongst all the "s's"


Ashton.  She was really sweet....and you can see that in her smile.


Bryan, thank you for letting Mac ride the cars early.  And good luck at KU!



My favorite.  James.  He was so quite...maybe he thought my intentions were ill.  Maybe
he was camera shy.  I think he has stories.  I see it in those baby blues.  I wish I knew them.


And Donna.  She likes to take photos a lot too.  I would have loved to have
seen some of the lifes she has captured along the way.


Dustin!! Bull rider extraordinaire showing off his skills before he opened the gate!


This little thing was just a wee bit loo rickety for my taste.  


Mj doing all the work so I could practice capturing motion....Thanks MiMi!!


Terry you didn't have to say a word.  Your hands and your face do all the talking.


chin up.


Oh, I love this one.  And regretfully, I didn't get her name.  We talked quite a 
bit, and I didn't ever catch her name.  Sorry 'bout that.



Well, we didn't leave with a fish, but we sure were impressed with them.


It looks like they had fun...and I got some great shots.  CSD 2011, you weren't a total bust after all!


Happy Monday everyone.  And make it a point to meet someone 
unexpected.  Its delightful.





















3 comments:

  1. it's crazy the way you described it...the last time we went it just wasn't the same either. I miss the good ole' days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh you're work is awesome. So much character. Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! You work is aaaaamazing as well!

    ReplyDelete

Show a little love...Thanks!

Blog Archive